Tuesday, November 4, 2008

IVRs - Intense Vacation Research Subjects

In the online travel world, information overload is a real problem. There are no doubt millions of travel web sites "out there" and a few actually offer helpful information. However, if I may be so bold, I think there is still room for one more.

First and foremost, this Vacation-Education blog is a personal outlet for me to share my travel experiences and the research I put into my vacations. Although the phrase "my vacations" may sound a little self-serving, I promise to try and be interesting. On the other hand, because much of the content comes from my vacation experiences, it also gives the information some credence of credibility. I guess it should be stated at least once that I'm not associated with the travel industry in anyway and therefore can post opinions, tips, and observations that are honest and transparent to intent.


It is my hope this blog will fill a "niche" that, instead of addressing the foundational components of a vacation (planning, booking, reserving, etc..), will instead focus more on connecting the difficult components of a vacation, the ones that can transform a typical vacation into an edu-vacation.

For example, let's say you're going to plan a vacation to Mammoth Cave National Park in Kentucky. It's true you'll need to find a hotel room, purchase some cave tour tickets, get directions and all the usual "foundational components" of a vacation. However, by digging just a little deeper (no cave pun intended), you can actually have a much better Mammoth Cave vacation experience, plus get much more for your time and money. So what do I mean by "digging deeper"? Let's start with some of the basics:


  • What books should you read before you visit Mammoth Cave?
  • Are there any movies or videos you should view before your trip?
  • What are the key historical facts, events or people should you know about before you're there?
  • Would some light science information (geology, biology, etc...) help you better appreciate your vacation?
  • Is there any music that would add to the overall experience?
  • And there are many other IVRs (Intense Vacation Research Subjects) to explore, so you can "know before you go"
The answer to most of those examples is usually a resounding yes! However, the amazing thing is you won't find these recommendations on any other travel related sites! Why? Because most travel sites are there to help you with the foundational components of a vacation, and usually only focus on rooms, tickets and menus, which is where they make their money. Sure they may throw in a few facts and a paragraph or two of history, but that is not nearly enough.

And Finally, a clear message I want to convey in my initial blog post is to encourage all visitors to contribute by posting responses. Even if your response is just a single line of text, it could really help other vacationers avoid the hazards of having a "bank account draining", "needed more time", "wish I would've known", "guess I'll have to wait until next time" - vacation.

PS. Having lived in Kentucky all my life, Mammoth Cave National Park will certainly be one of my IVRs ("Intense Vacation Research Subjects), so stay tuned for upcoming posts on the subject of Mammoth Cave National Park.

No comments: